Thursday, July 12, 2012

You’ve Earned the Right to Make Me Cry




I love the way you make me smile
And smile I did a million times
But when it’s time to say goodbye
You’ve earned the right to make me cry

I guess I’m spoiled by your humility
Enjoyed so much your comedy
While others do it for fortune and glory
There will never be another Dolphy

I thought I’ll hear the laughter forever
But I was wrong
I should have known better
The best things in life won’t last forever

But I won’t give up or sulk in a corner
Because of you I’ll try to be stronger
I will survive, I’ll really try
Until the tears have all run dry
Sooner or later, this pain will fade
A brand new smile will take its place

And so for now, I say goodbye
Just give me time to grieve for a while
For all the times you made me smile
You’ve earned the right to make me cry.



2 comments:

Nancy said...

This is a beautiful poem. I like it very much because I can relate with you. I grew up watching Dolphy's movies and TV series. When he passed away, he left a huge dent and a big hole in my heart. He will be forever missed.

"Hanging on a Hyphen" said...

Thank you. The problem with admitting growing up with Dolphy is revealing our age. Hahaha....